Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Refuge Rock

Saturday was planned. My friends Jarod from Branson and Jesse from Kansas City were coming down to Okie-ville for the weekend for some granite gripping in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. These guys can pull, so I'm siked to have them down. The WMWR is my home crag, so I'm the guide for the weekend.

So Jesse gets in on Friday afternoon. He has brought his bike so without even speaking we jump in the car and head out to the Clearbay mtn trail in Norman to get into some dirt before the sun goes down. Now Jesse is a pretty solid biker, and got me into the single speed mountain biking kick. We keep a good pace for 16 or so miles, but the sun leaves us and we forgot to bring our lights so we hightail it to the car.

Fast forward to Saturday morning. Cold and Windy in the refuge. I have a mountain bike race the next day, so I take it easy. But here and there I get the opportunity to shoot a bit. I brought gear to hang from a line and photo but unfortunately I was much too lazy for that. Anyway, get the camera out from time to time and snap off a few.

Lost Dome was the locale. Jesse. Jarod. Jarod's wife Brooke. Zeus. Me.

As the daylight came to an end, we made the 40 minute hike out, drove to the world famous Meers restaurant for some grub, then retreated to Camp Doris for an open bivy in mid-teen's temps. What a beautiful night.....

note: I'm an idiot. I shot the entire day on ISO 1000. For those of you who understand, you'll agree I'm an idiot. I realize it as we are pulling into the Meers parking lot at the end of the day. I'm an idiot.





















5 comments:

EB said...

Awesome Man! Can't wait til I am involved in the fun.

rockgrrl said...

I did almost the exact same thing recently! (high ISO) I luckily caught it 2/3rds into the outing though :)

Wonderful pics, ISO 1600 or not!

Caleb said...

Man, I am seriously going to have to start making more of an effort to shoot when I go climb. I don't do it though, but really want to, but it cuts into my actual climbing time

Caleb said...

BTW, going out to Quartz this Saturday. Likely getting there after the rest of our group will be on the rock, so may shoot a few shots from the field with my 300mm and 1.4x TC. Hopefully the guy I am riding in with has the patience for it.

hey Chad said...

As usual, your photo's look great. Your photographs remind me of all the reasons I love to take pics and make me wish I had more time to take them. Great job!