Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tilt and then Shift

I have an addictive personality. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I tend to overdo whatever I'm doing. At times. Sometimes. It's a good thing I don't smoke crack...
So I've have been stuck on a photography technique called Tilt Shift which uses a special lens to create a very shallow depth of field. Basically, there are two different types of movement in it: rotation of the lens, called tilt, and movement of the lens parallel to the image plane, called shift.
Well, I don't have an expensive tilt shift lens nor will I probably ever buy one but I've been working on different techniques to achieve the same effect, essentially "miniature faking" to make the photo look like a miniature model of the real thing.

Have a look.


Tony Mayse on Lost My Religion 12b, Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

<
Jer Collins on Ra 11d, Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge


Downtown Oklahoma City on a stormy fall evening, 2008


Aaron Gibson on his chipped 120 ft route Xodus on the southwest corner of Rocktown Gym, Oklahoma City

8 comments:

5Kgoatgirl said...

Cool stuff. You should set up a photography class here at the ranch during or "off" season.

Jon Chasteen said...

My brother is a stud!!!

OKC Herbivore said...

keep strong. when i "discovered" shallow depth of field via even a normal lens with a "narrow" f-stop, i haven't stopped shooting that way since. and usually those are the ones with a "wow that looks good" factor to them.

OKC Herbivore said...

and by the way the shots look great. i like the focus on the okc one being on the street rather than the towers. i love city shots so you had me at downtown. and i like the fal. and storms. i am in love now.

Shane S (for anonymity) said...

You should sell that city shot to Nona's

Andy Chasteen said...

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

The Lucas said...

It's good stuff, but how much of a gimmick is it? The DOF game is an on going battle. I really enjoy the urban shots, but I am still undecided with the use of this effect with the climbing photos. I remember a series Ben Moon did of City of Rocks, Idaho that he either actually has a tilt/shift or does it in post as well. I know he is a pretty big fan of it. I'd say keep up the good work, but use it sparingly and try to find compositions out in the field that you will be able to tell will work good for this image style.
Is this something you learned at the Hot Carling Academy. HA! My word verification is 'blogreff'. I believe I am all blogreffed out up here.

Andy Chasteen said...

Lucas, yes we both learned it at the hot carling academy. Don't you remember?
Oh, and didn't you read the post? My personality defect keeps me from using it sparingly.