Tuesday, January 27, 2009

i love snow

Oklahoma City is in the midst of it's first winter storm. Yesterday morning the ice came and coated trees, sidewalks and the streets. Overnight last night, the sleet and snow started to fall and is coming down as I type. It's beautiful.

I love snow. I love cold. I love inclement weather. I love to get outside and enjoy the elements. We as humans were made for adventure; unfortunately we have become domesticated and civilized, refusing to get out in "bad weather" because of the dangers or risk involved.



Stir-craziness got the best of me this afternoon and I decided to get out in the weather for a little snow run. I threw on my Yaktrax and headed out into the snowy urban scape. It was nice, a run full of solitude that a person rarely gets in the city. It was also a great escape into the wild, an adventure.





Thanks Nicki, for taking some shots of me in the snow!

7 comments:

zibaby said...

I remember how much you loved being in the snow and cold on The Vampire in Southern Cali. You remember that?

Andy Chasteen said...

I do Jer! We had so much fun and were so cold that we bailed! What a good memory....

furry said...

Werd. DC is covered in ice right now. I sure wish I owned some of them yaktrax, almost bit it a number of times on the way to class today (wearing the flat soled approach shoes was a bad idea). You're probably the only person in the state of Oklahoma who has a pair.

The Lucas said...

Yaktrax? Isn't that what you leave when you wake up after passing out in your bed and have to run to the bathroom to puke?
I saw some prints in the snow this weekend from those.
Eventually you learn how to run on the snow and ice. I actually think it's easier to run on ice than it is to walk.
The thought of cold weather down there is bewildering.

Andy Chasteen said...

Lucas, just because you have snow on the ground up there 6 months out of the year doesn't mean you can come on here and belittle my post.
You probably have naturally developed Yaktrax on your bare feet, acclimatization they call it..... or evilution? or something....

Unknown said...

Death to treadmills! Everyone needs a pair of Yaktrax or Surefoots (or a bunch of 1/2" sheet metal screws to put in a pair of old shoes).

It's a proven fact that training outdoors is far superior to indoors. Don't believe me? Just watch Rocky 5 again. Running in waist deep snow and power lifting a wagon allows you to whip the Nautilus and steroid crowd every time. Heck, the Rock even had enough left over at the end of the fight to topple communism.

EB said...

I'll give you a Yaktrax to the face if you don't cut it out.

Love Handle Andy plays patty cake and eats pecan pie in the dark with my little ponies and GI-Joe's.

OH BOY!