Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christ-mas

It's been a beautiful couple of days.

I've been in Missouri visiting family for an early Christmas. If I haven't said it already, I relish the moments spent with my family. You can pretty much bet that a fly on the wall would observe ample amounts of laughing, playing, talking, eating and more laughing at a typical Chasteen family gathering.

Yesterday we spent the day in frigid temperatures enduring the cold for a fun time in Branson at the ole' Silver Dollar City park. It was cold. It was windy. It was still busy. Silver Dollar City is beautiful this time of year with neatly placed Christmas lights numbering over 4,000,000 strong lining the entire park. I was in awe. However, the moment that sticks out in my mind from the day was the train ride at 8:30 pm in the dark and cold and wind. During the ride the train stopped in the middle of the woods, lights came on, and an old man with a white beard sitting in a rocking chair starts chatting with us about his wife up the hill in the cabin making some soup. But then he wants to tell us a story before heading into the cabin for dinner. So this old man who actually looks like Santa bursts out into the Christmas story from the Bible.

Now I don't talk much on here about political, religious, moral, or fiscal issues. This is not my soap box. But that train ride was the most refreshing bit of nutrition my soul has had in quite some time. In this day of corporate and social correctness we've lost it all. I'm so sick of hearing "Happy Holidays" I want to puke in my mouth. As cliche as it sounds, Jesus is the reason for the season. Sadly, last night on that cold train was the first time I had heard His name in the whole month of December.

I say Cheers to Silver Dollar City. What a gorgeous display of a large corporation who hasn't given in to the temptation of correctness in this day and age!

I herby declare a ban on the phrase "Happy Holidays".

MERRY CHRIST-MAS








2 comments:

Practical Traci said...

Merry Christmas to you Andy!

5Kgoatgirl said...

Merry Christmas from the Johnson Clan...
We were at Silver Dollar City on Friday (the 19th) looking at lights - it was great. We had free passes from running in their 5K you should try it...it is through the lights and hills. Kind of fun.
I am glad we are not the only ones who notice the dumb "Happy Holidays". There is hope :)