Friday, December 5, 2008

Rocky Raccoon 50

"Now somewhere in the black mountain hills of Dakota, there lived a young boy named Rocky Raccoon. And one day his woman ran off with another guy; Hit young Rocky in the eye. Rocky didn't like that he said I'm gonna get that boy"
Back in the day (which I heard was a Wednesday), the Beatles sang a cool little Western style honky-tonk song named Rocky Raccoon. It'a about a guy who tries to kill the man who stole his girl, but instead is wounded.

The Rocky Raccoon 50 however, is a 50 mile trail ultramarathon through Huntsville State Park and around Lake Raven in southeast Texas. And on February 7th, 2009, registration confirmation tells me that the RR50 will be my first go at something of that distance.

I have talked a friend and next door neighbor, Kyle Griffith, into participating in this feat of self mutilation with me. So over the next two months I'll be doing everything but running in order to get in shape. I'll be sharing some of my training with you along the way, if you don't mind, because I plan on doing a lot of cycling, weight training, crossfit and believe it or not, rock climbing. I think it will work. We shall see.

1 comment:

furry said...

You self-loathing never ceases to amaze me.
Check out http://crossfitendurance.com/ you might be interested.